In today’s competitive business landscape, more organizations are adopting digital transformation to leverage new digital technologies. That is to say, this is to reassess their business processes and help them to be more innovative, customer, and user-oriented. Thus, there are many aspects to consider in the total digital transformation, IT is no exception.
IT transformation means embracing modern data center technologies and IT processes while aligning IT and business needs. In other words, this will increase IT agility and responsiveness, IT spending efficiency, and change the IT funding to new projects and innovation. Therefore, the satisfaction level of business stakeholders will increase, business becomes more competitive, and better outcomes.
Gartner predicts that 20% of business-critical applications will move to hyper-converged infrastructure by 2020. In conclusion, hyper-convergence is an IT framework that consolidates storage, computing, and networking into a single system with the objective to reduce data center complexity and improve scalability.
The main components of the hyper-converged platform:
- Virtualized computing
- Software-defined storage
- Virtualized networking
- Standard servers
Also, the HCI advantages are:
- Simplify management of hardware and software resources
- Increase IT agility enablement and flexibility
- The lower cost of ownership
- Support business scalability
- Maximize available resources
- Improve reliability and efficiency
In the process of digital transformation, HCI appliances can help to modernize the IT landscape. It allows delivering true business impact through agility. Moreover, businesses nowadays are focusing on their flexibility. As a result, HCI is the next logical step in data center evolution providing “cloud-like” IT infrastructure.
Some HCI solutions come with integrated lifecycle management, making infrastructure operation seamless for IT. Moreover, IT will then spend more time supporting the business than managing the infrastructure. In short, 87 % of IT managers agreed that using HCI made IT more agile, with 25% agreeing it had made them significantly more agile.
For instance for common use case:
- Desktop virtualization (VDI)
- Enterprise applications (Exchange, SharePoint, SAP, S/4HANA, etc.)
- Enterprise databases (SQL, Oracle, SAP HANA)
- Server virtualization
- Big Data applications (Splunk)
- VMware Cloud Foundation (VCF) on Dell EMC VxRail Private-/Hybrid-/Multi-cloud
- Dev/Test environments, Container Services Pivotal (PKS)
- AI/Machine Learning, Data Inferencing
- Remote office/Branch office